Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My Favorite Things: Podcasts

My latest banner creation, now in the shop.


Last night I was listening to the latest edition of one of my favorite podcasts, Craftsanity, which is produced by Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood. It was a recording of the recent "Art of Craft" session at the BlogHer conference. This was probably the next best thing to actually being there. Panelists included Amy Sedaris, Kristin Roach of Craft Leftovers, Natalie Zee Drieu of Craftzine, and the Crafty Chica, Kathy Cano Murillo. This is a must-listen for anybody who is trying to sell their wares and especially using the internet. Topics included pricing, how to write about crafting on your blog, and many more. I know I'll be listening again! There is a lot to learn from these ladies. I would so love to go to this conference next year - anyone want to be my BlogHer buddy?

And while we're on the topic, let's just keep going. I have been meaning to blog about podcasts for a while now. I have listened to them for about six months now, maybe a little bit longer. They keep me company while I sew. Does anyone else listen to craft or sewing podcasts? I am always looking for new ones. Here are some of the other craft/sewing centric podcasts I listen to:

Material Mama
- This one is from a Mama to three girls. She talks mostly about apparel sewing, but a little bit of craft and accessory sewing too. This was the first craft or sewing podcast I subscribed to. She usually talks about hints and ideas for inspiration, gives a recap of what she's been sewing lately, and often shares links to great sewing and crafting sites. It looks like she has a new edition today - check it out!

Craftcast - Alison Lee interviews a different crafter for every show. One of the first ones I listened to was an interview of the Crafty Chica. It always fun to learn more about each crafter and find out about how they get things done, where their inspiration comes from, etc.

Sew Forth Now - This is a fairly new podcast, produced by Lori, who covers one instructional topic per episode. This would be a really great podcast for anyone wanting to learn to sew. The last episode was on pressing and was an interview with Ann of Gorgeous Things. Ann is an experienced seamstress and talked about all the dos and donts of ironing. I learned some great things.

Craftypod - This is a great podcast. I love that it is a little bit shorter (usually 20-30 minutes as opposed to an hour) than most of the other podcasts I listen to and gives me a different time option for when I don't have as much time to listen to a whole show. Sister Diane of the Church of Craft puts out a great show every two weeks or so. This is more of a topic driven show - each week there is a crafty topic and sometimes it is accompanied by an interview which fits into the topic and sometimes not. Either way, it's a great show!

What are your favorite podcasts? And they don't have to just be craft ones. Let me know!

8 comments:

Katie Jean said...

I never listen to podcasts, but now I'll have to check them out! Like I need one more thing to do... hee hee

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great links today!

Christina J. said...

I agree...I like Craftypod. It's nice that she covers so many different types of crafts. So far, I haven't found a beading or jewelry podcast that I like.

Breanna said...

Thanks for the info- I didn't really realize that there were crafty podcasts. My husband listens to podcasts all of the time, but they are all about neuropsychology and stuff like that. I didn't know that there were interesting ones out there!

Anonymous said...

I love Material Mama! Also enjoy the Creative Mom podcast and Halfway There.

Kim Bates said...

OK- I am out of the loop- how do you listen to Podcasts???

Anonymous said...

I never listen to podcasts but I may give some of your links a try. :)

Pieces said...

I have never listened to a crafty podcast. Thanks for listing some to get me started!