Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Real Me


I started working on that jacket last night. It's coming together nicely. And the reason why I had time to start on it? I decided to drop that craft show. I have been working non-stop trying to get ready for it and trying to sell things on Etsy so I can pay for the supplies I needed for the show. And what did I have to show for it? Six purses - yes, that's it! Six purses. That's why I dropped the show. I've sewn a lot more than that in the last few weeks, it's just that the rest needed to go on Etsy. I really wanted to do it, but I just didn't think it was going to happen and I wanted to give the organizer time to find someone else to fill my spot.

When I started this whole crafty, sewing, selling things on Etsy adventure, I didn't want to give up sewing for myself or my family and I didn't want it to take over my life. The last couple of weeks, it's been taking over my life. I so enjoy what I've started here on the blog and on Etsy, but really, I'm a full-time Mom and a part-time crafter. So, in the spirit of remembering who I really am, I might be talking a bit more about my Mom adventures here. You can still expect lots of sewing and crafty goodness, because that's who I really am too, just with a little more of this, this, and this thrown in.

17 comments:

Camille said...

GOOD FOR YOU! Way to go!

Pieces said...

I know exactly what you mean. I feel that way about blogging too. If it interferes too much in my home life then something is not right. It is hard to find that balance between a healthy pursuit of hobbies and being the wife and mother you want to be.

Melissa said...

Agreed! Good for you for knowing early on to drop the show. I always seem to get myself into stuff like that and then never admit that I took too much on. Being a mama is the best job. (A thankless one sometimes- but still the best.) Family comes first and around here I've really slowed down on the crafting lately. I want to start up a new project soon cause I do need some type of relaxing activity too!
You're an awesome/talented mom! Keep it up!

Jenn Maruska said...

It's good to have limits.

It's healthy, and in the long run will make everything you do better.

: )

Natasha said...

I agree, good for you! Some of my friends tease me about my strong boundaries, but I stand my ground!

Sarah said...

Ok, that's so weird, but you're totally reading my mind. That's exactly how I was feeling before the craft show I was just in!

Mama Said Sew said...

I'm a little late in commenting, but I agree with the others. It's so important (especially as a mom) to know where to draw those lines.

lera said...

It's all about balance. Good luck. I'll be around to read your mom adventures, too.

beki said...

Very well, my dear. I already know that there's no way in hell that I could do a craft show. No way. Just putting a few items in my etsy shop is struggle, but if it pays for my supplies, then I keep at it. Finding the balance is the key.

Jody Sanders said...

I know what you mean. Good for you for making a solid healthy decision.

Sarah and Jack said...

I, for one, love reading the mothering stuff every bit as much as the crafting. My own blog definitely has periods where it is heavy on the mothering b/c frankly sometimes that is all I can do!

Christina J. said...

Good for you! :) I often have people tell me I should sell my jewelry, but with working full-time and being a mom, I just don't have time. It's all about priorities and balance.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Wow. Look at all your comments! I sometimes wonder if my blog readers are bored when I talk about my life, but I feel as long as I throw in some knitting/spinning related stuff here and there, they'll survive. Part of the great fun of blogging is getting to know someone and I don't think you can really do that if all you talk about is your latest project. Just my opion.

Mary Beth said...

Good for you for finding the balance. That is always tricky. And . . . I can't wait to see that jacket.

Breanna said...

Isn't it nice to make a decision at be at peace with it? I am looking forward to seeing your jacket.

Karen said...

Dang, I'm always amazed at how much you get done. I will look forward to seeing the jacket. Did you finish it today?

Beth said...

It's so nice to know there are many out there going through the same things I am!