I think this refinishing project is going to take a lot longer than I had originally planned. It is taking three coats of stripper and then rubbing with mineral spirits to get to the wood. Last night I did finish the stripping on the top and one side of the desk. I have a better idea of what I need to do now, so hopefully it will go a little faster. Here is what the pieces looked liked yesterday afternoon. There is a desk, stool, and dresser. I got them all for less than $60, so I am hoping for around $100 for the whole project. We haven't decided what color to paint them yet We are leaning towards some sort of orange shade. We picked out a green last week, but then realized it was the same exact color that they already are! Yikes. It looked much darker in the store. I think I need to go look at colors without the kids so I can be take a little more time to decide and think about it.
These will all go in the kitchen. The desk will be for my computer and the dresser for fabric, sewing supplies, etc. Unfortunately, my sewing area has to be in the kitchen right now because I need to be able to sew after the kids are in bed. The other room available for sewing is right next to their room and the noise would wake them up. I wake them up now sometimes.
Well, I can't wait to get them finished. I think I'm just going to tackle one piece at a time, so hopefully I will have the desk finished by this weekend.